Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Pesto Presto

It's really nice having big, lovely basil plants on the farm. When I'm lacking creativity in planning dinner, I can just run down the hill and grab some basil to make pesto with. I always have a sleeve of garlic, pecorino romano or parmesan cheese, olive oil, and whole wheat spaghetti pasta on hand- so it's nice and easy to whip up. Sometimes I add pancetta or chicken to it as well.




This is my favorite recipe for pesto, but it can be done so many ways. You can use parsley and basil, as this recipe suggests, or you can use just one or the other or make a mint pesto. I know a lot of people add pine nuts to their pesto as well.


I make my pesto with a food processor. I've seen some people make it with a mortar and pestle which is pretty neat.



Parsley and Basil Pesto Recipe
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups fresh basil leaves
  • 1 cup parsley sprigs
  • 8 cloves garlic
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup parmesan or pecorino romano cheese (like parmesan but a little sweeter)
  • 2/3 cup olive oil
Directions:
  1. Place basil, parsley, and garlic in food processor
  2. Add salt, pepper, and cheese
  3. Blend until fully incorporated (about 1 minute)
  4. Stop and scrape the bowl (the ingredients usually need to be scraped down a few times until the oil is added)
  5. Turn processor on as you gradually add the olive oil in a slow and steady stream
  6. Mix until fully incorporated

This recipe makes about 2 cups of pesto

No comments:

Post a Comment