Monday, October 18, 2010

Broccoli Cheddar Mmm..

I was excited to find a little recipe box this past weekend that I lost in the sea of packed boxes prior to our wedding. There is one recipe in particular that I was super excited about finding- Broccoli Cheddar Soup. My friend Mollie made this soup for a few of us girls when we were over her house and it was amazing. It's just like the yummy Broccoli Cheddar Soup they serve at Panera Bread. I'm happy that she decided to share it with me. Lucas and I definitely benefited from her generosity tonight.


This is the original recipe. It's amazing as is, but I think next time we'll make a couple changes based on personal choice (such as using mild instead of sharp cheddar). Mollie served us this soup in bread bowls, just like they do at Panera Bread, which was really neat. You can buy bread bowls from Panera or get really creative and make your own.



Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup medium onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 cups half & half
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1/2 lb fresh broccoli, chopped
  • 1 cup carrots, julienned
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar

    Directions:
    1. Saute chopped onion in butter then set aside
    2. Cook melted butter and flour together in a pot using a whisk constantly over medium heat for 3-5 minutes
    3. Slowly add in half & half, still whisking constantly (a spoon would work as well)
    4. Slowly add chicken stock, whisking the whole time
    5. Simmer for 20 minutes
    6. Add in broccoli, carrots, and onion and cook over low heat until veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes
    7. Add salt and pepper to taste
    8. The soup should be thickened at this point. Pour batches into food processor and puree.
    9. Return to pot over low heat and add cheese. Stir until blended.
    10. Stir in nutmeg

    If you don't have a food processor, you could just finely chop up the broccoli before adding it to the pot.

    4 comments:

    1. or instead of chopping everything up after cooking, you could do it before.. less messy. that is, unless you like a smooth soup. im deborah, by the way. i know your husband. :) HI!

      ReplyDelete
    2. oh, and im super happy you posted this. i often crave this kind of soup and have yet to make my own. i spend too much money on broc n cheese soup, haha.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I should mention that I did cut up the broccoli into small florets beforehand, the processor just helped it along a little more. You could do without the processor and make it more of a rustic soup. If you do that though, I'd recommend cooking the veggies a little longer to soften them up more (I left some chunks in the soup and they were still crisp).

      I thought I recognized your name! And yes, I spend way too much money on this soup too, haha. That's why I was so stoked on finding the recipe. Less trips to Panera!

      ReplyDelete