Monday, November 8, 2010

Spanakopita

I still have no clue how to pronounce the Greek word for spinach pie, but I have mastered the recipe. I get ridiculous cravings for junky food like Kit Kat bars and pizza, while Lucas gets cravings for more hearty meals like Italian sausage and spinach pies. Usually my cravings are fulfilled once I eat and savor whatever my current craving is. His seem to last a lot longer. Since he's been on a real spinach pie kick lately, I felt it was my wifely duty to learn how make some homemade spinach pie. I felt all fancy when I told him we were having spanakopita for dinner, until he let me know I pronounced it wrong. Wah waaaah.




I modified the recipe slightly. In the picture you can tell that the phyllo looks a tad thin. It's only 4 sheets on top and bottom here, but next time we plan on doubling it. You, however, may like a thinner layering. Adjust accordingly :]



Spanakopita (or Spinach Pie, for us less fancy girls)
Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 5 green onions, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 lbs spinach
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1 cup crumbled  feta cheese
  • 16 sheets phyllo dough
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • Salt and pepper, if desired
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly butter a 9x9 or 8x6 in. baking pan
  2. Heat oil in sauce pan
  3. Saute onion in olive oil until translucent
  4. Add in butter, green onions, and garlic and cook until soft and lightly browned
  5. Stir in spinach and parsley and cook until reduced, about 2 minutes (add salt and pepper if desired)
  6. Remove pan from heat and cool
  7. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together ricotta and feta cheese with eggs
  8. Mix spinach mixture into cheese mixture
  9. Lay down one sheet of phyllo dough and lightly brush with melted butter
  10. Repeat with 7 more sheets of phyllo
  11. Spread spinach and cheese mixture over sheets of phyllo
  12. Lay down one sheet of phyllo dough and lightly brush with melted butter
  13. Repeat with remaining 7 sheets of phyllo
  14. Tuck in any overhanging sides of phyllo
  15. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown
  16. Let the pie set up then serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment