Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

I love meals that are homemade, but easy to make. It's always nice to have a few easy to throw together meals aside from boxed macaroni and cheese and hot dogs.

A few months ago I decided that I wanted to make chicken pot pie from scratch. I searched around online and found a Paula Deen recipe called "Hurry Up Chicken Pot Pie". I changed just a few things, based on personal taste, and it was awesome and easy to make. We always have all of the ingredients, except for the chicken, in the house so I can make this recipe without having to make a big shopping trip. The first time I made it, I used two small dishes so that Lucas and I could have individual servings, which was nice. But a single casserole means less dishes and more sharing :]






Hurry Up Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients:
  • 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 1/2 cup instant biscuit mix
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup butter (half a stick), melted
  • 1 can of cream of chicken soup
  • Salt and pepper, if desired
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots (I used a vegetable peeler to make slices)
  • 1 cup chicken broth
Directions:
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Cook pre-cut chicken
  3. Layer chicken, peas, and carrots in the bottom of either a 2 quart casserole or two 1 quart casserole dishes
  4. Mix together broth, cream of chicken soup, and salt and pepper (if desired) in a medium mixing bowl
  5. Pour broth and soup mixture over the layers of chicken, peas, and carrots
  6. Stir together biscuit mix and milk in a small mixing bowl
  7. Pour biscuit mix over top of casserole
  8. Pour melted butter over top of biscuit mix
  9. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown

This dish would be really good with other veggies too like broccoli or diced potatoes. You could also add herbs or garlic to it for a little more oomph.

No comments:

Post a Comment