Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Canning, yayy!

I did some canning this past weekend. It's not really official canning because pesto in fact cannot be preserved as jams and other sauces. But it was exciting none-the-less.


 


I made a huge batch of pesto, with special help from my hubby (he harvested the basil for me and washed it). I was able to fill four small jars for immediate use and froze the rest for long term storage. Because of the pH level in pesto, it is not recommended for canning with the purpose of long term usage. There is not enough acidity to aid in proper preservation. However, it can still be canned and enjoyed within a week or two. Since four cans of pesto is way too much for this couple to consume in a two week period (at least without becoming totally sick of it), we gave away two jars to share the joy with others. Hopefully they can handle the heat. I went a little overboard with the garlic. The Walthers are all about garlic.

Speaking of garlic, I need to plant mine this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment