Friday, November 12, 2010

White Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal and Cranberry Cookies

My mother-in-law made these cookies last Christmas. While over their house one night, Lucas made about five trips down to the kitchen to get some more. So, as you can see, he really enjoys them. Around the beginning of our marriage, a few months later, I started craving them and decided to make them myself. I'm admittedly not a very good cookie maker. I get distracted in the short baking time they take and they often get burnt as a result. But, I've found it very hard to screw up these cookies. They're so chewy and soft, even when I let them bake for a little too long. And I feel semi-healthy when I eat them since they have fruit and oats in them. It's like the theory my friend Stacey and I created about balancing out an unhealthy meal of ice cream with an apple. Lucas doesn't agree with my theories. But I still stand by them.






Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate Chips and Cranberries
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, slightly softened
  • 2 large eggs beaten lightly
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/3 cups dried cranberries
  • 1 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Spray baking sheet or line with parchment paper
  3. In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients
  4. Mix together butter and sugar in separate bowl until light and fluffy
  5. Add eggs and mix well
  6. Add honey and vanilla and mix until fully blended
  7. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture in two additions, mixing well after each addition
  8. Fold in white chocolate chips and cranberries
  9. Drop tablespoon servings of dough onto baking sheet, 2 inches apart
  10. Bake 9-11 minutes

2 comments:

  1. My mom and I just made these (minus the white chocolate chips) and ate like 3 of the 4 dozen.

    I also justified these as semi-healthy because 1) the oats 2) I used whole wheat flour and 3) no white sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha awesome. The recipe does makes a heck of a lot of cookies! It's hard not to eat them all up.

    Using whole wheat flour is a really good idea! I bet it works well with these cookies.

    ReplyDelete