Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Love and Marriage...

"...You can't have one without the other."

I just uploaded about 80 of our 400 wedding pictures onto Facebook. Our wedding was so small, it's hard to imagine so many pictures were actually possible.

Photo taken by Heather Vaught of Steadfast Media (http://steadfastmedia.net)


We started off with a traditional wedding: in the church where I grew up, with everyone and their mother invited, and a reception with dancing and professional catering. However, as we went along, and the stress built up, we realized how we didn't really want that big wedding in front of people we barely know. We realized that the wedding was about us and God, not fancy plates and perfectly decorated cakes. We didn't need a big party with the "Electric Slide" or a memorable entrance into a jam packed church so that people could "ooh" and "ahh" at my dress and fancy hair-do. Not to say that such things are wrong, it just wasn't us. It wasn't what a wedding represented to us. We just needed us and God, in front of those we love most, completely vulnerable and in love, saying words orchestrated by our own hearts and mouths, committing to a life of serving and sacrificing for one another. It was perfect and I wouldn't change a thing. In my new home, I prepared for my wedding with my best friends and my mother. My friend from Florida came out and did my hair for free. Nothing fancy. Just lots of curls. My girls wore $40 Target dresses and $12 Target shoes with floral hair and pin accessories made by me. Lucas prepared for our wedding with his best friends in his soon to be old bedroom in his parents' house. I am the most sappy, sentimental person ever; so these circumstances were so very very perfect to me. We walked down to the barn, where our wedding would take place, and I felt so alive, so content, and not at all nervous. I soon stood with my best friend, and spoke lifelong promises to him. Our good friend and pastor Loyal married us, making it all the more special. It was a perfect ceremony. We all sang Amazing Grace, my husband's favorite song, then enjoyed treats lovingly made by my best girl friends. This may seem so very plain and simple, but I can't imagine a better way to have celebrated my new life with my husband.

Photo taken by Heather Vaught of Steadfast Media (http://steadfastmedia.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment