Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tips Cooks Love

My awesome friend, Camille, gifted me an awesome book called Tips Cooks Love: Over 500 Tips, Techniques, and Shortcuts That Will Make You a Better Cook!


It's pretty much the encyclopedia of cooking in a neat little package. This little book is jam-packed with amazing tips and explanations for all things cooking and baking from cookies to grilling to pressure cooking. I've learned the chemistry of baking soda and baking powder, the difference in heat conduction between a ceramic and glass pie pan, the way to make a perfect fudge brownie, and the best way to make a nice and juicy hamburger.

I once tried to convince Lucas that baking could be fascinating to him because it's scientific. He just laughed at me. This book however provides the proof that baking is scientific! In cooking you can throw a dash of this and a dash of that (which admittedly, I find to be the fun part), but with baking you must accurately follow the recipe. The amount of baking powder or soda you use impacts the way your baked goods rise and how much air is incorporated. The difference between cold butter and warm butter impacts how flaky your pie crust will be. How long and at what heat level you cook corn starch impacts the thickness of your pie filling. I love learning more about the things I love.









You can get your own copy of this book on Amazon.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment