Thursday, February 10, 2011

Creamy Chocolate Cake

"Let's face it, a nice creamy chocolate cake does a lot for a lot of people; it does for me."
Audrey Hepburn


I'm weak in the knees for chocolate. Chocolate chip cookies. Chocolate truffles. Chocolate candy bars. Chocolate ganache. Hot chocolate. Chocolate brownies. Chocolate milkshakes. Chocolate ice cream. Chocolate gelato. Chocolate shavings. Those little crunchy chocolate bits in the middle of a Carvel ice cream cake. I'll take it anyway I can.

But I don't think anything can beat a rich, creamy, chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. When I first lived on my own I would run to the grocery store to buy a slice of chocolate cake from the bakery whenever my craving would kick in. Now, being a little older and a littler wiser (and a far better baker than I once was), I can make my own cheaper version of chocolate cake. Cheaper, but just as delicious. AND, I get to have an entire cake instead of just one measly slice. Though, that may not really be a good thing. I do have my husband here to help me eat it, though. So, I'm only eating about 3/4 of it by myself :]




I've made chocolate bundt cakes before, but somehow the chocolate cupcakes that I made for the little Valentine's Day tea party this past weekend were the first for me (at least the first from scratch). I'm now on a mission to test out different chocolate cake and chocolate frosting recipes and see which one most fulfills my chocolatey desires. I have hopes of a more rich, sweet chocolate cake with matching frosting- but I really liked the cupcakes I made this time around as well. The cake itself is made with cocoa powder which gives it a strong chocolate flavor. I was rushing around the morning of the party trying to make the frosting, and took my eyes off the melting chocolate too long as it started to burn. -Insert sad face here-. I was majorly bummed. But, then I had a stroke of genius (or desperation) which thankfully turned out pretty darn good. I used up the last bit of German chocolate I had (which wasn't much) then added a little punch of that same cocoa powder that I used in the cupcake batter. I added just enough to be noticeable, but overall left the frosting as a buttercream. Lucas dug it (he's always my tester) so the panic subsided and I stuffed my little frosting bag and went to town.




The girls took leftovers home with them as well. I see that as a sign of success. Chocolate for the win!




(Oh and you better believe that my quest for the perfect chocolate cake means that more recipes are coming your way soon!)



Chocolate Cocoa Cake Recipe

(makes about 16 cupcakes)

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup and 1 teaspoon (for frosting) cocoa powder
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup white granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and line your cupcake tray
  2. In a small bowl, pour the boiling water over the cocoa powder and mix thoroughly. Set aside to cool.
  3. In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
  4. In the bowl of your mixer (or in a large bowl if you don't have a mixer), beat together butter and sugar until fluffy.
  5. Add eggs, on at a time, mixing well after each addition.
  6. Mix in the vanilla extract
  7. Add in the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
  8. Add in all but one teaspoon (reserved for frosting) of the cocoa and mix well until smooth.
  9. Fill cupcake tray evenly (each cup about 3/4 full).
  10. Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

Frosting Ingredients:
  • 2 oz. German Chocolate (you could use unsweetened chocolate for a more dark chocolate taste)
  • 2/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cocoa powder (reserved from cake batter)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Frosting Directions:
  1. Melt the German chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Set aside to cool.
  2. Cream butter in your mixer
  3. Add powdered sugar to butter and mix until smooth.
  4. Add in cocoa mixture (reserved from cake batter) and mix well.
  5. Add in vanilla extract and mix well.
  6. Add in melted German Chocolate and mix until thoroughly combined with frosting.

1 comment:

  1. I really love chocolate, too.
    I feel the need to mention that although rich, your cupcakes and frosting are light and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete