Wednesday, December 1, 2010

German Chocolate Cake

My mother's birthday was yesterday and I took on the challenge of baking her favorite cake- German Chocolate. It's the most involved cake I have made so far. But, it was fun. And I got a nice work out whipping the egg whites by hand. Next time I'll have to bring out the hand mixer. There are a few little random baking/cleaning tasks that make me feel super domestic; for some reason whipping egg whites is one of them. It made me feel like a little homemaker and like I should have had a child on my hip while gabbing on the phone to a girlfriend. Anyway, the hard work paid off. I think it turned out rather nicely.
















It was a tad bit sloppy as I was inpatient and didn't wait long enough to put the frosting on. The frosting was still warm and started sliding off, but, I kinda like the messy look. It gives it that "I was made from home with love" look.

I used the recipe that came with the box of Baker's German Chocolate. I actually found the same recipe online and it got a gazillion positive reviews so it seemed like the way to go. I did tweak it slightly. I added more chocolate to the cake (I can't help it, I like everything super sweet), used cake flour instead of all purpose, and poured chocolate ganache over top of the cake before adding the frosting.



German Chocolate Cake Recipe
Cake Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg. (4 oz.) sweet German chocolate  [I used 1 and a half packages]
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 1/2 cups cake flour  [2 cups if you're using all purpose]
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs, seperated
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup buttermilk
Frosting Ingredients:
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1 package (7 oz.) coconut flakes
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
Cake Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover bottoms of 3 (9 in) round cake pans with wax paper and grease sides of pans. [I only did two layers and used the leftover batter for cupcakes]
  2. Melt chocolate in water in a saucepan on medium heat until chocolate is almost fully melted. Turn off heat and stir chocolate until completely melted.
  3. Mix flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
  4. Beat butter and sugar together with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
  5. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  6. Blend in melted chocolate and vanilla
  7. Add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, mixing well after each addition.
  8. Beat egg whites in a small bowl until stiff peaks form then gently fold whites into batter
  9. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans
  10. Bake 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
  11. Immediately run a small metal spatula or knife around cake layers
  12. Cool in pans 15 minutes, then remove layers from pans, discarding wax paper
  13. Once layers are completely cooled, apply coconut-pecan frosting between layers
  14. (Optional- pour chocolate ganache over top layer. To make ganache, make a double boiler and melt 4-8 squares of German chocolate then add in 1-2 tablespoons whipping cream or half and half and mix well)
  15. Spread coconut-pecan frosting generously over top layer of cake
Coconut-Pecan Frosting Directions:
  1. Beat egg yolks, milk, and vanilla in a large saucepan with a whisk until well blended.
  2. Add sugar and butter to saucepan and cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 12 minutes (until thick and golden brown).
  3. Remove saucepan from heat. Lightly toast coconut and pecans on baking sheet
  4. Add coconut and pecans to saucepan and mix well.
  5. Allow frosting to cool before applying to cake

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the wonderful cake! It was the best German-chocolate cake I have every eaten. Brought some to work for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete