Monday, January 10, 2011

Avalanche

 
This past weekend Lucas and I attended YFC's Avalanche retreat as chaperones. It was a lot of fun though admittedly I was nervous about going. I don't do well with last minute plans, especially with new things that I haven't done before involving people I do not know. But I'm glad we went. I got to share my testimony with a group of teenage girls and tell them what a loving, redeeming God we have and the beautiful love story He wrote for Lucas and I. Listening to them talk reminded me of how hard high school was and how during that time it's hard to think of the bigger picture instead of the seemingly big issues you're dealing with in the moment. It's hard to think that your perfect husband is out there somewhere and you don't have to settle for or hold onto your high school boyfriend for fear of not finding anyone better. It's hard to think that one day that fight you had with your best friend won't matter anymore. It's hard to think that the friends you consider to be as close to you as family may not be existent in your life five years later. I know I've only been out of high school for about seven years (which actually seems dreadfully long to me), but I still forget sometimes just how emotional high school and the experiences kids have there are. I'm excited about working together with Lucas to love these kids the best we can and to help them see the bigger picture. Most of all, I'm excited about the testimony we have and the passion we have for sharing it with others. I want God to use us and our story to help them to not feel alone and to know they're children of God and He wants the best for them.


 

1 comment:

  1. That's fantastic. I think we all forget sometimes how hard it was as a teenager, until we talk to one, then we remember. I would not want to go back there. It's so great to see that you guys are letting God use you to work with teens. I am most certain that seeds are being planted : )

    ReplyDelete